This fascinating behind-the-scenes tour takes you into the roof void high above the Nave, into the south tower, the Lead Room and the Ringing Chamber and then through the spaces in the north tower. If weather permits we extend the tour onto the roof to enjoy the best views of Exeter (and beyond).
Tours usually take place on Tues and Sats but we are extending the days of operation as new guides are trained – please check with us.
Important – Please read the following terms and conditions.
- Anyone under the age of eight is not permitted on the roof tour. Any child between the ages of eight and sixteen must be accompanied by an adult on a one-to-one basis.
- There are over 100 steps to climb. If you have a heart complaint/breathing difficulties/phobia or dislike of confined spaces, darkness, height or flying birds, you must not take this tour.
- Some tours in the roof space could last up to two hours.
- There are no toilet facilities in the roof space. As soon as the tour starts, you will not be permitted to leave at any point.
- You are required to wear appropriate footwear at all times. High heels, flip flops, stilettos and sandals are not permitted. The guide has the final decision as to whether you are allowed on the tour.
- Due to low ceilings in the roof space and stairwells hard hats, if provided, should be worn at all times unless otherwise stated.
- No backpacks or luggage is permitted on the tour. We have no storage facilities within the Cathedral for you to use.
- Access to the North tower cannot always be guaranteed. Adverse weather conditions or essential maintenance work may prohibit the guide from taking you outside.
- You must follow the guides instructions at all times. Failure to do so could endanger you or other members of the tour.
- The tour is non-refundable after purchase.
- There is a £5 admin fee if you wish to exchange the date of your Roof Tour for another.
- You should be ready 5 minutes before the designated start-time of the tour which will start on time and Visitors are not permitted to join the tour late.
By using this service, you accept and agree to be bound by the terms and provision of this agreement. In addition, you shall be subject to any posted guidelines or rules applicable to such service. Any participation in this service will constitute acceptance of this agreement. If you do not agree to abide by the above, please do not use this service.
Other special tours
New for 2018 is a special tour which takes you into the roof void, before finishing with a very rare opportunity to spend time with members of the Cathedral Society of Bellringers who will be in action in the ringing chamber in the South Tower.