Scension Dance Day Ι A community engagement initiative for local dance groups
Saturday 17th July
A special day of dance performances exploring the theme of new beginnings. Throughout Saturday, 17th July, 6 dance groups from across the Southwest will perform to a specially-composed dance track that has been commissioned from Fionn Connolly.
Scension Ι is an integrated creative project
that explores building hope and resilience. It is linked to the huge sculpture installations by Martin Staniforth at the West end of the Nave. ‘Scension’ is an exploration of the idea that an ending can be a new beginning…
Ι Scension dance day is
included in the admission to the Cathedral
Children under 18: FREE (within a family group)
About South West Sculptors
In 2016, a member of the South West Sculptors, Martin Staniforth, responded to the fire that destroyed historic buildings overlooking the Exeter Cathedral green. There he sited a sculpture, fabricated from burnt wood, that stood defiantly, wing-like in a spirit of rebirth. This sowed the seed for a group show that will explore the themes of vulnerability, courage and growth in 2021.
Exeter Cathedral is an environment rich in its accumulation of sculpture over past decades. Even before the South West Sculptors install their work, the theme of Density & Lightness is already present in carved tombstones and the soaring stone structure of the Cathedral.
What You Need to Know When You Come to Visit Us
- When you enter Exeter Cathedral, a member of our team will be there to greet you.
- Test and Trace will be in operation. You can either provide your details to a member of staff or use the QR code available.
- You may need to queue outside depending on how busy we are.
Keeping Yourself and Others Safe
- You will have to sanitise your hands on your way into the Cathedral.
- You’ll need to wear a face-covering at all times (unless you are exempt).
- Remember to keep a safe distance from other visitors, staff and volunteers. To help with this, we’re currently operating a one-way system inside the Cathedral.
- Our toilet facilities will be open. Please speak to a member of our Entry Desk team.
- If you are feeling unwell or are experiencing any symptoms of Covid-19 please visit another time.
- Please follow current Government guidelines. You can check the current guidance here.
- The Cathedral Shop will be open and is located in the heart of the building.
- Ten Fifty, our very own refreshments van, will be ready to serve you on the West Front Apron.
- If you are a UK taxpayer and able to Gift Aid, we would really appreciate it.